615 N Wolfe St, E6546
Baltimore, MD 21205
- Senior Fellow, Center for Disease Dynamics, Economics & Policy. Washington, DC (Jul 2007 - present)
- Professor, Department of Biology & Associate Director for Disease Ecology, Emerging Pathogens Institute, University of Florida (Jul 2007 - Oct 2011)
- Scientist, Fogarty International Center, NIH (Nov 2003 - Jul 2007)
- Assistant Professor, Department of Epidemiology & Preventive Medicine, University of Maryland School of Medicine (Nov 1999 - Nov 2003)
- Postdoctoral scientist. The Biology of Small Populations. University of Maryland, College Park (Aug 1998 - Nov 1999)
- PhD Ecology & Evolutionary Biology, Princeton University (1998)
Projects & Collaborators
Malaria epidemiology, transmission dynamics, and control; Mathematical epidemiology; Evolution of drug resistance; Ecology of Infectious Diseases; Spatial dynamics; influenza; rabies; MRSA
New / Noteworthy
- Heterogeneity, mixing, and the spatial scales of mosquito-borne pathogen transmission. PLoS Comput Biology.[PDF]
- The stability of malaria elimination. Science [PDF].
- A sticky situation: The unexpected stability of malaria elimination. Phil Trans Roy Soc Lond B Biol Sci [PDF].
- Malaria's missing number: Calculating the human component of R0 by a within-host mechanistic model of Plasmodium falciparum infection and transmission. PLoS Comp Bio [PDF].
- Ross, Macdonald and a theory for the dynamics and control of mosquito-transmitted pathogens. PLoS Pathogens [PDF].
- A systematic review of mathematical models of mosquito-borne pathogen transmission: 1970–2010. J Roy Soc Interface.
Malaria Atlas Project (MAP)
- A long neglected world malaria map: Plasmodium vivax endemicity in 2010. PLoS NTD.
- A new world malaria map: Plasmodium falciparum endemicity in 2010. Malaria Journal.
- Climate change and the global malaria recession. Nature.
Malaria: Transmission Dynamics & Control
- Targeting asymptomatic malaria infections: Active surveillance in control and elimination. PLoS Med [PDF].
- Hitting Hotspots: Spatial Targeting of Malaria for Control and Elimination. PLoS Medicine. [PDF]
- A quantitative analysis of transmission efficiency versus intensity for malaria. Nature Communications. [PDF]
- Predicting changing malaria risk following expanded insecticide treated net coverage in Africa. Trends in Parasitology. [PDF]
- Measuring malaria endemicity from intense to interrupted transmission. The Lancet, Infectious Diseases. [PDF]
- Revisiting the basic reproductive number for malaria and its implications for malaria control. PLoS Biology. [PDF]
- The entomological inoculation rate and Plasmodium falciparum infection in African children. Nature. [PDF]
Malaria: Elimination (Malaria Elimination Group, MEG)
- Resurgent malaria:a systematic review and assessment of its causes. Malaria Journal. [PDF]
- Solving the Sisyphean problem of malaria in Zanzibar. Science. [PDF, fulltext] (Note: free access to the article from here).
- Ranking of elimination feasibility in malaria endemic countries. The Lancet. [PDF]
- Operational strategies to achieve and maintain malaria elimination. The Lancet. [PDF]
- A research agenda for malaria eradication: modeling. PLoS Medicine. [PDF, MalERA]
Malaria: Movement & Spatial Dynamics (THuMMP)
- Quantifying the impact of human mobility on malaria. Science.
- Human movement data for malaria control and elimination strategic planning. Malaria J.
- International population movements and regional Plasmodium falciparum malaria elimination strategies. Proc Natl Acad Sci, USA. [PDF]
- Travel risk, malaria importation, and malaria transmission in Zanzibar. Scientific Reports. [PDF]
Malaria: Evolution of Antimalarial Drug Resistance
- The Potential for Respiratory Droplet–Transmissible A/H5N1 Influenza Virus to Evolve in a Mammalian Host. Science.
- Synchrony, waves, and spatial hierarchies in the spread of influenza. Science. [PDF]
Antibiotic Resistance / Extending the Cure
- "One-size-fits-all?" Optimizing treatment duration for bacterial infections. PLoS One. [PDF]
- Strategic interactions in multi-institutional epidemics of antibiotic resistance. Proc Natl Acad Sci, USA. [PDF]
- Persistent colonization and the spread of antibiotic resistance in nosocomial pathogens: resistance is a regional problem. Proc Natl Acad Sci, USA. [PDF]
- Agricultural antibiotics and human health: Does antibiotic use in agriculture have a greater impact than hospital use? PLoS Medicine. [PDF]
- Animal antibiotic use has an early but important impact on the emergence of antibiotic resistance in human commensal bacteria. Proc Natl Acad Sci, USA. [PDF]
- Estimating the reproductive numbers for the 2008-2009 cholera outbreaks in Zimbabwe. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. [PDF]
- "Hyperinfectious" cholera: A critical element in the ability of V. cholerae to cause epidemic disease. PLoS Medicine. [PDF]
Staphylococcus aureus & MRSA
- The changing epidemiology of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in the United States: A national observational study. Am J Epi.
- Community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in outpatients, United States, 1999-2006. Emerging Infectious Diseases. [PDF]
- Hospitalizations and deaths caused by methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, United States, 1999-2005. Emerging Infectious Diseases. [PDF]
Ecology of Infectious Diseases
- Co-evolutionary hot and cold spots of selective pressure move in space and time. Journal of Ecology.