The Department of Molecular Microbiology & Immunology is seeking a Laboratory Technician who will assist in daily functioning of parasite and insect core facility by helping with mosquito rearing, P. falciparum cell culture and mouse model of malaria.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
- Mosquito rearing includes collection of adult mosquitoes in cages, blood feeding mosquitoes on anesthetized mouse to maintain colony, add food pellets and net coverings to larval trays.
- Perform in vitro P. falciparum cell culture, mosquito infection assays, make blood smears, dissect mosquito midgut and mosquito salivary glands to obtain malaria parasites, purify and microscopically count number of parasites.
- Assist with the preparation and stewardship of laboratory reagents, methodology, equipment, biological materials, and other materials pertaining to experiment execution and laboratory cleanliness and safety.
- The technician should maintain laboratory records and submit technical reports describing results of experiments at least once a week.
Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory):
- High School Diploma/GED with some science coursework.
- Training Certificate from Technical Institute preferred.
- Certificate from technical institute or internship experience preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree in the biological sciences.
Special Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Basic biology, basic infectious diseases.
The Johns Hopkins University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to recruiting, supporting and fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students. All applicants who share this goal are encouraged to apply.